Saturday, February 6, 2010

A New Personal Best!

I was all nerves last night because I knew it was time for another 21km run.
I knew I could do it. I guess it was just the anticipation that was getting to me.

I was a little disheartened this morning when I heard the wind howling outside. It was going to be windy! I hate running when it's windy. I don't mind the rain so much but the wind can be really draining.

I'd planned out an entirely different 21km route. I didn't know how I was going to feel about that either as I usually like familiarity.

I got up and procrastinated a little while, telling myself I was just waiting for the wind to die down a bit then I slapped myself on the wrist and just got out there.

I drove to my regular finish line and wouldn't you know there, there were a group of runners there, waiting to start. Luckily they were going in a different direction to me.

So I start off and know immediately that my time is going to be slow because it's just so damn windy.

As always, I didn't find my groove until about the 5.5kms mark and at that point, felt I was flying along nicely. In fact I don't think I really struggled at all except for those first few kms!

When I had 5kms to go, I realised I was going to make a personal best time!

Now I realise that my time is not as great as some others but it is MY personal best so it means a lot to ME.
I ran just over 21kms in 1 hour 55 min and 15 secs!
Go me!

I'm super happy about that AND I seem to have pulled up really nicely! Last time I was really muscle sore and barely able to walk when I got back but this time I feel quite good!

Makes me want to go out there and do it again!!!

Oh, and my heart rate average was 164 and I felt absolutely fine so I'm not going to worry about it.

Isn't it great to be a runner!!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice PB Margot! And it sounds like you did it easy - great work considering the wind. Sara

    ReplyDelete