Sunday, January 31, 2010

A January record!

If you'd told me back in Sept/Oct 09 that I would have run 237kms in January, I would have had a laughing fit! Never in my wildest imagination (and it's not beyond me to have a wild imagination!) would I have ever dreamed of being able to run that much, and yet I have!
I'm just so over the moon about this and maybe only another runner would understand, that's why I'm gushing about it here and trying to keep it to myself in real life!

I was thinking about the run I'd do this morning last night, and mapped out a tentative route. I didn't want to do the usual route but didn't want to stray to far from it either, in case I craved the familiarity while I was out running and wanted to go back to it. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone else but...

So I figured I'd head out and if I felt good, would go for about 15kms. If I felt tired or taxed, I wanted to do at least 12kms and see what happened....


The first part was downhill and in fact, something kinda funny happened. I was running along a main road so it was a little noisy (I normally steer clear of main roads but today was a 'do something different day') and being that it was the start of my run, and downhill like I mentioned, I was doing a good pace. Well, I was approaching the driveway of a house with a high fence and just as I hit the driveway, a guy, another runner, was running OUT of the driveway to start his run.
What are the chances???

It really had the potential to be quite brutal. We both stopped and did bump into each other but luckily had stopped quick enough so that there wasn't any damage.
We both laughed at our own stupidity for not looking or being careful and went on our way.
Luckily it wasn't worse!

And as always, I didn't start to feel comfortable until about the 5kms mark. That was when I knew I'd be going for 15kms at least. I was running close to my regular route, but far enough that it was different and interesting.

The last 1/2 kilometre was along the regular route and I picked up my pace and finished well.

There were so many people at the beach! And the weather was just perfect. It felt so good to be there.

There is NOTHING like the feeling I get when I've finished a run. I know I've accomplished something and I can sit back and relax and enjoy it.

And as I treat, I stopped at the local foodland on the way home and bought lots of fruit. Watermelon, rockmelon, honeydew, strawberries, pears, peaches, kiwi fruit... etc, for a huge fruit salad for lunch today!
Can't wait!

237kms for January!!! WOO HOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment