Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A memorable month

Today marks the end of the month and it's memorable in a few ways.

Firstly, after taking a break of about three years, in September of 2009, I started running again.
Prior to my break, I'd been running about 20kms a week (on a good week). Sometimes it could have been as low as 12kms...

When I started again last September, I was only managing a couple of kms four and five times a week. I slowly started building kms as my endurance and stamina improved until in January 2010, I ran 21kms for the first time. You couldn't wipe the smile off my face as I finished that run!

At that time I started to think a marathon could be vaguely possible... I just kept the thought in the back of my mind as I kept running...
At the end of March hubby and I went overseas for a month and I didn't run that whole time. I was devastated but knew that I could just start again when I got back...

It didn't take as long as I'd imagined to be back to where I was before we left for overseas and then... in June... I heard about the Adelaide marathon, to be held in August.
Crazily, I thought I'd have a shot at this and signed up right away!
The whole time I was thinking "on my god what have I done" but I started training for it with the few weeks I had left.

I ran distances I'd never run before and in August, completed the marathon.

I'd told myself that after the marathon, I was going to have a month break but within days I was running again... I'm enjoying my running more than ever!

I know I want to run another marathon and will probably do so next year, but just don't know which one I'll do yet. Would be nice to do it on a new course but I think Adelaide will always be special to me being my first.

Did I mention how much I love running??

Total kms for August, marathon month, 250kms

No comments:

Post a Comment